Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The year thus far

Here's where I'm at this year so far.

I started my golf season at a 11.2 index based on a few low rounds at the end of last fall. In the last few months, my index has risen to a 11.8, which puts me at about a 14 handicap form the blue tee box on most courses. My home course, by the way, is Coloniale Golf and County Club in Beaumont Alberta (I'll highlight the course on a future post). Coloniale's rating is 71.8/132. I'll probably play about 50 rounds on that course this spring, summer and fall. Our golf season runs from late April through late October. And if we're lucky, we'll get a few games in November.

Here are some of my round totals so far this year (unadjusted).

April 16th - Coloniale - 94
April 20th - Innisfail Golf Club - 97 (with the flu!)
May 10th - Coloniale - 89
May 11th - Coloniale - 92
May 13th - Coloniale - 88
May 14th - Northern Bear - 92 (Jack's northern course - in really rough shape!)
May 17th - Legends (Traditions/Champions) - 88
May 19th - Coloniale - 91
May 25th - Coloniale - 96
May 26th - Coloniale - 87 (Last 13 holes - +5 - first 5 holes - +10...)
June 1st - Coloniale - 103 (ugh. 5 hours and 3/4s on the course ... not fun)
June 2nd - Coloniale - 90
June 3rd - Coloniale - 94
June 5th - Legends (Traditions/Champions) - 89

Not a stellar start - and my current 14 handicap of course uses adjusted scores (nothing over double bogey on any hole), as well as two 82s I shot last fall. My modus operandi for this year has been to go along getting pars and bogeys, the occasional birdie, and then suddenly a triple, quad, or quint, which don't show on the adjusted card. My best round this year was May 26th - where I had a fantastic last 13 holes, shooting like I was a single digit handicapper. So I know I'm close. I'm swinging well, my chipping game is getting very strong (under 50 yards) my driving is reasonably consistent, and from about 130-155, I'm really quite solid.

Places I know I need to work: approaching between 50 and 130 yards and PUTTING. Two rounds ago I was putting for birdie under 2 feet on two par threes, and I promptly 3-putted for bogey.

Anyhow, we're off at 1:12 today for men's league. Where I traditionally play poorly (I blame SLOW PLAY on the course). It's also raining, which could be good or bad. No roll on the drives, but the greens should hold!

Now to think up a catchy little tag line for my blog posts ...

Keep it on the short grass?
Grip it and rip it?

2 comments:

  1. How about Playing from the Brough? Or are you keeping it in the fairway a little more often!
    Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Playing From the Brough" What a great Blog Title! I might just have to change it!

    ReplyDelete