Thursday, May 12, 2011

Open Season!

After one of the longest winters in recent memory, all the courses in the Edmonton area are now open, and golf season is officially open. Most courses didn't open until last week, which is about 2-4 weeks behind schedule. I haven't played a full round yet at Coloniale, but I will this morning. I did get in 18 holes at Lewis Estates last week, in a driving rain, and then two 9 hole rounds at Coloniale in the nicer weather this week. The wind is very stiff right now though, bringing in the warmer southerly air, so I won't complain too much.

Scores so far for me are a 95 at Lewis Estates, and two 45 nines at Coloniale. Today will be the first round I count towards my 2011 handicap. The winds are still howling up to 60 km/hr - but from the SE they are mostly helping. Only about 7 holes are greatly effected in a negative way. NW gusts are far more troublesome on this course in my opinion.

Some new clubs coming into my bag. I'm still working with my 2002 Callaway irons, and 2002 Nike driver, as well as some older Orlimar tri-metal fairway metals. I decided this year I should at least upgrade my fairway metals. So I found a deal at Golf Town for a 2009 TaylorMade Burner driver, 3 wood and 5 wood. Even if I don't like the driver, the deal was good enough to warrant the purchase for the fairway metals. I may also upgrade the irons this year, the same 2009 irons are at a very low price, so who knows! I will for sure be buying a new 56 degree wedge, as mine has seen enough scratches and scrapes from poorly maintained traps, and questionable rocky water lies that it's quite chipped up. The TaylorMade wedges are on sale for about $80, pretty unbeatable. A new 60 degree may also find its way in the bad at that price. The grooves on all my irons are also showing signs of age. I figure they've been through about 500 rounds, so they don't owe me anything. At the very least, they all need re-gripping as it's been 3 years since I've done that. So why not save the $150 on new grips and put it towards new irons (the last part was for the benefit of my wife to read). My Odyssey putter though, even though we occasionally have a strained relationship, will stay in the bag.

I don't get the new clubs until at the earliest tonight, so I will play another round with my old set, and will test the new gear out on Saturday at the earliest.

Speaking of my wife and golf, it appears she is completely hooked now. We both had a swing analysis done late this winter, and she is showing immediate improvement off tee and fairway after figuring out how to turn her hips through her swing. Off the reds last night, she out-drove me at least 2 times, and I wasn't hitting them short. We are planning a lengthy car trip across the country this summer, made lengthier by the number of times we stop to play golf. There is no greater joy in my life right now than sharing this past-time with her, especially as I watch her game improve off the tee. A few lessons on short game and she'll be in the low 100s in no time, and pushing towards the completely attainable 90s.

Hope my Canadian followers are getting in some good early rounds, and the rest of the season is sunny and warm for many more rounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment