Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I DID IT!

We are still on our cross country road trip, currently on our last day in Ottawa, and we have played what is likely going to be our final round of the trip. The first three rounds were on spectacular, yet difficult, courses in Saskatchewan, North Dakota, and on the Bruce Peninsula in Georgian Bay. Most my rounds were in the high 90s, if not low 100s, but most of them were on the start or end of a long trip on the road.

Today we played a childhood favorite course of mine near Winchester Ontario called Cloverdale Links. A nice links course, but friendly.

HOWEVER - I BROKE 80!!!!

Here's the card

Hole/Par/ my Score
1 /5 /5
2 /4 /4
3 /3 /4
4 /4 /4
5 /5 /6
6 /4 /5
7 /4 /4
8 /3 /2
9 /4 /4

OUT 36 / 38

10 /4 /4
11 /4 /5
12 /3 /4
13 /4 /4
14 /3 /3
15 /5 /6
16 /3 /4
17 /4 /4
18 /5 /6

IN 35 / 40
OUT 36 / 38

PAR 71 / 78

I was putting great, and my iron play from 150 yards in was spectacular. I was a bit worried that if I had a 79 on a par 71, I would have to put an "start" beside the 79, considering it would have been an 80 on a regular 72 course, so I was happier to have shot a clear 78

The other funny part of the story was that we had great weather, albeit windy, but the storms stayed away from us, until the last hole, after our drives, and before our approach shots the heavens opened up, and not a small rain but 1 step away from an all out hailstorm. My playing partners picked up and huddled under their umbrellas. I wasn't going to quit though, only needing a double to break 80. So in the driving rain I hit my gap wedge on the green (this being my 4th shot actually after a penalty for putting my drive into the fescue), I knew I only need a double bogie to break 80, giving me 3 puts for a 79. I hammered my long 80 foot putt up the hill to within gimme range for bogey, and tapped it in for the 78. Cheering on the green, while being soaked from head to toe.

A memorable Kodak moment.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, John! That has only happened once for me as well, on Countryside many years ago. Probably never get there again. Are you back in time for Tuesday mens league? Shotgun start and I have a time.

    ReplyDelete